India Bike Ride Itinerary
Firstly the bike ride trip is EASY because we will supply you with an ultra modern geared HERO bicycle. You don’t have to bring your own which is an airline hassle and costly. Your first stay will be in New Hope Children’s Community Village and do 3 days volunteer work if you wish. Gardening, teaching english, carpentry, cooking. Go by train 58 tunnels and 84 bridges to see one of the worlds oldest known caves in the hills on the way back from Araku and see Tribal villages as you ride through the countryside. Limited to 14 people each tour..
New Hope is now responsible for the Gandhi Memorial Leprosy Foundation First Aid Centre in a small town called Chilakalapalli. And you are riding there from the starting point which is in Visakhapatnam New Hope Kothavalasa Community Centre.
Train to Bobbili and ride Bikes through rural country side to the Gandhi Memorial Centre for Leprosy patients. New Hope now has the management of this Centre that includes a 12 bed Ward. Ride through villages to highway and up to a stop at small Indian town. Travel to Muniguda and see the Community Centre with the Hospital where so many people have given to have poverty line women and aged leprosy patients receive cataract eye surgery. Meet Tribal women at the Centre and visit a rural market. Leave in afternoon for town of Bargarh nearest to Jhan Jhur Leprosy Colony. Ride to Jhan Jhur Leprosy Colony.
This will be a contrast to other centres of New Hope and shows a different village lifestyle. Train in the evening return to Kothavalasa. Children Community Centre.
We are limiting it to 14 persons. Its both Ride and Train. Those who just wish to enjoy the tour and not ride or not ride the full 20 kilometres a day can travel in the accompanying New Hope vehicle.
See approximate itinerary below for your 14 day adventure. May change slightly from year to year. Itinerary will be confirmed closer to adventure dates.
Arrive in Visakhapatnam : Pick up from Airport and travel to New Hope Community Centre. Afternoon introduction with children.
- DAY 1 : KOTHAVALASA – Orientation morning after breakfast. Discussion with Director on New Hope as an organization how it has evolved. Walk around New Hope Community Centre in groups with senior students or staff to explain how a day happens at the Centre. (Select an activity that you would like to spend time at.
- DAY 2 : Monday – Cycle Alamanda. Specified day as it is a rural market day in this small rural town. You will see seasonal vegetables, cows, buffalo, oxen and goats
- DAY 3 : Activity Day in Community. There are multitudes of activities – Painting a room, gardening including pruning, teaching an English class, Cooking pancakes and making a jam with senior girls – endless and the odd game of cricket/volley ball will creep in.
- DAY 4 : Bicycle ride orientation, and in-depth discussion with Guide. Continue with Activity of choice.
- DAY 5 : Train to Araku Valley ‘hill station’. Ride bicycles through rural area. Stay overnight.
- DAY 6 : Travel downhill by bus through coffee plantations, incredible scenic valley views. Stop at Borra Caves – oldest in world. Return and stay at Community Centre, Kothavalasa.
- DAY 7 : Train to Bobbili and ride Bikes through rural country side to the Gandhi Memorial Centre for Leprosy patients. New Hope now has the management of this Centre. Evening train to Muniguda.
- DAY 8 : Muniguda Community Centre includes Eye Hospital supported by Friends of New Hope for free cataract eye ops to Leprosy patients and rural poverty line women Tribal women.
- DAY 9 : The Community is also home to a group of Challenged Children in their Namaste House and Social Needs School. The aged in need of custodial care leprosy cured people also their home there. An integrated Community.
- DAY 10 : You are free to spend time with everyone there and hopefully during your visit you will see people admitted for eye surgery; an interesting part of the work of New Hope. Visit a local Tribal Market and in the afternoon catch a train to Bargarh.
- DAY 11 : Bargarh is the nearest town to Jhan Jhur Leprosy Colony. One of a number of such colonies that benefit from Love Bundle gifts, protective food wear and Care. Ride to Jhan Jhur Leprosy Colony – This will be a contrast to other centers of New Hope and shows a different village lifestyle Programmes. Night travel back to Kothavalasa Community Centre.
- DAY 12 : Activities Day with children. Volunteer time in school or garden
- DAY 13 : School holiday for children to play games. Present one of their cultural days. Volunteer time together doing arts and crafts.
- DAY 14: Visit to Visakhapatnam city, sea and old Buddhist historical site, up coast to see where Dutch had settlement for export a special blue dyed cloth, or just go shopping.
Add On 3 Days
For those interested in birds at the ornithology level this bike ride and train journey to secluded places and forest area will be of great interest. For an Ornithologist it includes an addition 3 days side trip to Kondakarla Bird Sanctuary $150 AUD